Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Two-Buck Chuck Wine


I love going to Trader Joe's to pick up cheap groceries.  However, I love going to their wine shop even more!

Typically, I pick up $10-15 bottles when I want some wine at home.  The other day my friend convinced me to pick up a $2.99 bottle from the Charles Shaw brand, which is exclusively sold at Trader Joe's.  The wine is so cheap - cheaper than a NY one-way subway pass in some states - that it's been nicknamed the 'Two-Buck Chuck.'  Just a few days ago, it was reported that Trader Joe's raised the price of a bottle in California from $1.99 to $2.49 due to a bad crop season.  So horrible yeah?

Anyway, I bought a bottle of the Merlot with zero expectations.  Perhaps my expectations were too low, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't completely offensive to my taste buds.   Still, wouldn't buy it again because it was too acidic and couldn't even finish the one glass I poured for myself.  Then I went back to pick up a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay to give the wines another shot.  The Cabernet Sauvignon is better than Merlot because it's softer and fruitier.  The Chardonny, on the other hand, was undrinkable.  It's the equivalent of Pabst Blue Ribbon to me.  Not to waste the Chardonnay, I mixed it with the Cab!  The Cab could not mask the taste of the Chardonnay.

Since I only drink wine maybe once or twice a week, I don't think I'd buy the 'Two-Buck Chucks' again, even though I'm living off of a "fashion" salary.  I believe if you feel like treating yourself, treat yourself to something you like.  It's similar to craving ice cream but going for the low-sugar, low-calorie, nonfat version.  For those who drink wine on a daily basis, it makes sense.  For $2.99 in NYC, cannot say it's not a steal.

No comments:

Post a Comment